Monday, July 20, 2009

Bishkek UHF

I've made a few friends in Bishkek, and have occasionally been able to keep myself quite busy. Nonetheless, at the end of the day, I go back to my very nice flat, and usually end up watching some Russian/Kyrgyz TV while I make dinner, work from home, or just relax. While satellite or even cable are very popular, even common, in Bishkek and other major Central Asian cities, I don't have it. Too bad - cable usually means CNN, BBC, ESPN, EuroSport, etc.

Instead, I have broadcast TV, which for most Americans brings up images of 3 local network affiliates, soap operas, and only slightly-less-cheesy primetime dramas. Oh, and PBS. Yippee.

In Bishkek, it's a slightly different picture. There's still local news, and sob-loads of Russian soap operas. But there's also BECTN, the Russian CNN, MTV.ru, and a strong presentation of American movies - dubbed in Russian.

While this is an odd barometer of life in Bishkek/ the connection between American pop culture and the world abroad, I was mesmerized by the cinematic offerings, so I started keeping a list. There is very little bias in terms of genre, and while most of the movies are more recent (some VERY recent - i.e. not even on HBO yet), that I think is to be expected - it would be more odd if movies from the 70s or 80s were suddenly popular. Marketing goes a long way - I pass by Harry Potter billboards on my way to work every day.

So here it is, with minimal commentary - the movies I've watched (in Russian) while in Bishkek. (* denotes a movie I hadn't seen before, thus have now only known in Russian)

the League of Extraordinary Gentlement
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Rundown
*Bolt
*The Mummy 3
*National Treasure
*2500 BC
*Mr. Wilcocks
The Salton Sea
Stardust
The Green Mile
iRobot (3x - they must love this one)
*Babylon A.D.
Kill Bill vol. 1
*Kill Bill vol. 2
Rookie of the Year
The Postman
*Ghost Rider
*Deathrace
That Thing You Do
*Thelma & Louise
The Departed
*Aquamarine
Meet Joe Black
*Hairspray
Love, Actually
Fargo
Basic Instinct
*Hellboy 2
*Scorpion King (prequel)
The Incredibles
Man of the Year
The Little Mermaid
Wall-E
*DOA
Run, Lola, Run
Ronin
*Man School
Fool's Gold
The Dark Knight
Evolution
*Fearless
Gladiator
Saharrah
*Too Fast Too Furious (at least 2x)
*Superstar
Harry Potter: The Prisoner of Azkaban
X-Men 3: The Last Stand
*X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Van Helsing
*Mall Cop
*Spiderman 3
A Knight's Tale
*Election
*Girl with the Pearl Earring
Pride & Prejudice

Ok, it trends slightly towards big macho action flicks, with a certain fetish for Vin Diesel, The Rock, Hugh Jackman, and (oddly) Nicholas Cage.

On a side note, I've also found Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers, which has been a little slice of nostalgia heaven. Even in Russian, it's funny when Monty's moustache goes crazy over the prospect of "CIP!" (Siir - russian for Cheese).

I'm not saying you can just watch this laundry-list of cinema in Russian and get the "Bishkek Experience," but in retrospect, I can say that my perception of Bishkek would not be the same had I not been shaped by these particular Hollywood insertions.

Eternal Sunshine, Joe Black, and Salton Sea were especially poignant being so far away from my loved ones. And I must ashamedly admit a certain affinity for Wolverine, Man School, Rundown, Evolution, Saharrah & Fool's Gold (you got me, Sean William Scott & Matthew McConaughey).

On the other hand, Babylon A.D., DOA, Faaaaast/Furious, 2500BC are all equally crimes against humanity in any language, even their grunt-infested dialects.

Oddly, I'm feeling the urge to watch sappy teen drama when I get back to the states. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, anybody?

Save me from myself.

Weber (on the lamb)

No comments: